safeguarDing IN ST Barnabas Church
Safeguarding Officer L. Ulrich email@example.com
Children's Champion E. Biaggi firstname.lastname@example.org
Evidence Checker D. Pearson-Hicks email@example.com
Parish Priest John Pearson-Hicks firstname.lastname@example.org
Parish Safeguarding Handbook
Safeguarding Policy Church of England
The Parish of St Barnabas (0312)
PROMOTING A SAFER CHURCH
This policy was adopted by the PCC on 9th July 2019 and replaces our previous policy with immediate effect,
The following policy was agreed at the Parochial Church Council (PCC) meeting held on 9th July 2019.
In accordance with the Church of England Safeguarding Policy our church is committed to:
· Promoting a safer environment and culture.
· Safely recruiting and supporting all those with any responsibility related to children, young people and vulnerable adults within the church.
· Responding promptly to every safeguarding concern or allegation.
· Caring pastorally for victims/survivors of abuse and other affected persons.
· Caring pastorally for those who are the subject of concerns or allegations of abuse and other affected persons.
· Responding to those that may pose a present risk to others.
The Parish will:
· Create a safe and caring place for all.
· Have a named Parish Safeguarding Officer (PSO) to work with the incumbent and the PCC to implement policy and procedures.
· Safely recruit, train and support all those with any responsibility for children, young people and adults to have the confidence and skills to recognise and respond to abuse.
· Ensure that there is appropriate insurance cover for all activities involving children and adults undertaken in the name of the parish.
· Display in church premises and on the Parish website the details of who to contact if there are safeguarding concerns or support needs.
· Listen to and take seriously all those who disclose abuse.
· Take steps to protect children and adults when a safeguarding concern of any kind arises, following House of Bishops guidance, including notifying the Diocesan Safeguarding Adviser (DSA) and statutory agencies immediately.
· Offer support to victims/survivors of abuse regardless of the type of abuse, when or where it occurred.
· Care for and monitor any member of the church community who may pose a risk to children and adults whilst maintaining appropriate confidentiality and the safety of all parties.
· Ensure that health and safety policy, procedures and risk assessments are in place and that these are reviewed annually.
· Review the implementation of the Safeguarding Policy, Procedures and Practices at least annually.
Each person who works within this church community will agree to abide by this policy and the guidelines established by this church.
This church appoints L. Ulrich as the Parish Safeguarding Officer
Incumbent: The Revd John Pearson-Hicks
Churchwardens: A. Townshend & L. Ulrich
Date: 9thJuly 2019
Safeguarding in your Parish – who’s who?
The incumbent / priest in charge
The Revd John Pearson-Hicks 07540 062413
The Parish Safeguarding Officers
Safeguarding Officer L. Ulrich email@example.com 07791 858196
Children's Champion K. McCarthy firstname.lastname@example.org
Evidence Checker D. Pearson-Hicks email@example.com 07746 142457
The team of licensed / accredited ministers
Do you know who else holds positions of trust/authority in your church?
Currently we only have one parish priest working in our parish.
Parish Priest or the Administrator
Do you need to work with anyone employed by the church? e.g.cleaners, premises officers/caretakers, administrators
A part-time Parish Administrator – D. Pearson-Hicks (6 hours a week)
A part-time Director of Music – D. Aprahamian Liddle (Sunday morning)
Who coordinates work in your church related to children, young people, adults at risk (e.g. Sunday School, youth club, visiting team, transport)?
Name(s) Contact number(s)
L. Ulrich 07791 858196
Who are the other youth and children’s/adults at risk’workers?
Names Contact numbers
Currently we do not have any. On any given Sunday the numbers of children range between zero and six. We do not have a Sunday School and we currently have no youth members.
Who will you talk to if you observe or are told about Safeguarding concerns?
Name Contact number
The Church Wardens or the Parish Priest (contact details above).
We also have a parish school who uses the church each morning (term-time) for Collective Worship. The Headteacher is Brendan Shanahan 020 7641 4232 www.stbarnabasprimary.org.uk